Friday, February 12, 2010

Eileen Romney

Bon, I only have one story to relate about Robert but it is a tender story that brings fond memories of him.

Late one afternoon in the early spring my husband Stephen was out of town. I was a full time working mother with 5 kids and a mother who lived with me. This particular day my car decided to break down right in front of my house. I was so discouraged and felt that I had absolutely no time or patience to deal with this. I knew nothing about the mechanics of cars and felt very inadequate to handle this. Robert (I believe, still in high school) had just come around the corner in his car and seeing our demise, stopped to see if he could help. He instantly knew what to do and briefly left to get something from his house to repair the car. It took him about an hour to repair the car and left without accepting anything for his payment. I was totally amazed how such a young man knew so much and was so willing to help with such a pleasant demeanor. This isn't something a young boy would normally do. The car worked perfectly and I will look back on this good Samaritan with tender feelings from a mother who was broken.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Eileen. I had no idea he had done this. After he died many people came to us with similar stories, but he never mentioned it. Many people felt that they could call him when they were stranded with car trouble or needed a ride and he would drop everything and help! Thank you so much for this memory! I will treasure it! Love, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful opportunity for you and Ron to hear these wonderful things he did and never told you!

    ReplyDelete