Wednesday, February 10, 2010

John Mettenet


Bonnie - I'm honored to contribute to this great way to honor Robert. I have great memories of Robert from the years I was one of his Young Men advisors. Two memories in particular stand out. First, our Priest Quorum decided to climb Mount Timpanogos. I remember the "adventurous" Robert taking a couple of side trips off the beaten path and I wondered if we'd ever see him again but he made it back. When we got to the top a storm was starting to roll in and you could literally feel the electricity in the air. Robert climbed on top of the metal box on the summit and stretched his hands to the heavens and his hair was standing straight up. I would have laughed at the sight of him if I wasn't scared that he was going to be struck by lightning. We had a great time!! I haven't climbed Timpanogos since but every time I drive into Utah County and look at Timpanogos and think about that day and Robert.

Second, I remember sitting at home one night when there was a knock at my door - it was Robert. He was very excited and said, "I've got to show you something". He walked into my family room and turned on our stereo searching for a specific station. He finally settled on a station that was playing music. He turned and looked at me waiting for a reaction. I said, "it's music so what?" Robert said, "I'm broadcasting on this station from my house". I remember thinking there is absolutely no way this could be true. How could a 16 or 17 year old kid be smart enough to create his own radio station. We jumped in my car and drove to his house ad sure enough he was broadcasting from his room. His house had all kinds of wires and antennas running out from every angle on the roof. Amazing - what a brilliant and talented person!! I think of this moment every time I go by the Holt's house and smile.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you John for the memory. I hadn't heard the story of him climbing the mountain! He could have been hit by lightening! It's one that a mother shouldn't hear at the time I think! It seems he was always tempting fate.

    I remember now the story of his radio station. I remember the time he did a favor for a friend with that. His friend was on a date and tuned his car radio to Rob's station. Rob pretended to be the DJ and dedicated a song to his friends girl. Then he went on and on and on about what a great guy he was. The guys dated was pretty wowed! (Now I wish I knew who the friends were! Please comment and fill in the story!) Love, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete